May I have 4 minutes of your time to talk about Calgary's Future? nenshi.ca/bold
Today is Election Day!
Voting stations are open from 10AM to 8PM
Election Day is today - Monday, October 16, 2017. Voters must vote at their designated voting station on Election Day.
IMPORTANT: If you are experiencing issues accessing the city's poll station look-up system, you can download the election guide to find your polling station.
Who is eligible to vote?
We've included a summary of eligibility requirements below:
You are eligible to vote in the 2017 Calgary General Election if on Election Day (October 16, 2017), you:
- Are at least 18 year old; and
- Are a Canadian citizen; and
- Have resided in Alberta since April 16, 2017; and
- Are a resident on Election Day;
- Of the city of Calgary, to vote for Mayor; and
- Of the ward, to vote for Councillor; and
- Of the Calgary Board of Education, to vote for Public School Trustee; or
- Of the Calgary Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 1, to vote for Separate School Trustee
- Provide one of the authorized pieces of identification.
Before you vote you must sign a statement that you are eligible to vote. It is an offense to sign a false statement.
What about students away from home?
A student is eligible to vote, if they:
- Attend an educational institution within or, outside Alberta;
- Temporarily rent accommodation for the purpose of attending an educational institution; and
- Have family members who are resident in Alberta and with whom the student ordinarily resides when not attending an educational institution, is deemed to be a resident.
What ID is required?
In order to vote, you must bring one eligible form of identification containing your name and current address. Picture ID is not a requirement. There are many ID options - visit this page to learn more.
In the 2017 election, Elections Calgary is working to remove barriers and provide accessible voting to all voters.
- All voting stations have barrier free parking and are easily accessible.
- Use the drop-down menu at the bottom of the page to access multi-language options on this website (note: English version is the official, legally binding version).
- Audio recordings of candidate names will be published once official candidates are announced.
- Instructions for electors are available in multiple languages at voting stations.
- More info about accessible voting for voters with vision impairments, voters who are confined to their home/physically incapacitated, and voters living in a care facility or in a hospital.
You may request a Mail-in Ballot if you are unable to vote during the Advance Vote or on Election Day because:
- of physical incapacity; or
- you are absent from the city; or
- you are working Election Day as an election worker or volunteering/working on a campaign.
Applications for a Mail-in (Special Ballot) can be made by:
- completing an online request ;
- by calling 403-476-4100 (option 2);
- by faxing 403-476-4101;
- In-person at the Elections & Census Office, 1103 55 Ave NE, Calgary; or
- In writing to the Returning Officer, City of Calgary, Elections & Census Office, 1103 55 Ave NE, Calgary, Alberta, T2E 6W1.
A ballot package with instructions will be mailed to you. A photocopy of one of the authorized pieces of identification is required to be sent with the returned ballots. Ballots must be received by the Elections and Census Office no later than 8 p.m. on Election Day (October 16, 2017).